Strange Signs Found in England
See also The Butchery of English.
and Fun Signs.
- In a laundromat:
- Automatic washing machines. Please remove all your clothes when the
light goes out.
- In a london department store:
- Bargain Basement Upstairs
- In an office:
- Would the person who took the step ladder yesterday please bring it
back or further steps will be taken.
- In another office:
- After the tea break staff should empty the teapot and stand upside
down on the draining board.
- On a church door:
- This is the gate of Heaven. Enter ye all by this door. (This door is
kept locked because of the draft. Please use side entrance.)
- Outside a second hand shop:
- We exchange anything - bicycles, washing machines etc. Why not bring
your wife along and get a wonderful bargain.
- Quicksand Warning:
- Quicksand. Any person passing this point will be drowned. By order
of the District Council.
- Notice in a dry cleaner's window:
- Anyone leaving their garments here for more than 30 days will be
- In a health food shop window:
- Closed due to illness.
- Spotted in a safari park:
- Elephants Please Stay In Your Car
- Seen during a conference:
- For anyone who has children and doesn't know it, there is a day care
on the first floor.
- Notice in a field:
- The farmer allows walkers to cross the field for free, but the bull
- Message on a leaflet:
- If you cannot read, this leaflet will tell you how to get lessons.
- On a repair shop door:
- We can repair anything (Please knock hard on the door - the bell
- Spotted in a toilet in a london office block:
- Toilet out of order. Please use floor below.