Is Windows a Virus?
No, Windows is not a virus. Here's what viruses do:
Until now it seems Windows is a virus but there are fundamental differences: Viruses are well supported by their authors, are running on most systems, their program code is fast, compact and efficient and they tend to become more sophisticated as they mature.
- They replicate quickly - okay, Windows does that.
- Viruses use up valuable system resources, slowing down the system as they do so - okay, Windows does that.
- Viruses will, from time to time, trash your hard disk - okay, Windows does that too.
- Viruses are usually carried, unknown to the user, along with valuable programs and systems. Sigh... Windows does that, too.
- Viruses will occasionally make the user suspect their system is too slow (see 2) and the user will buy new hardware. Yup, that's with Windows, too.
So Windows is not a virus.
It's a bug.
Found at annoyances.org.